2016 is a productive year for Tollywood. This is because Telugu spectators have encouraged few small to medium range films to turn blockbusters. Here are sweet surprises in 2016:
1. Express Raja: When producers of UV Creations Banner had announced to release the film during Sankranthi to compete with NTR’s Nannaku Prematho, Balakrishna’s Dictator and Nagarjuna’s Soggade Chinni Nayana, everybody appraised them for taking such daring decision. Shockingly, the movie became a big hit for its budget.
2. Kshanam: There was no buzz on the film, until its trailer was released. Even most of theaters were more than half empty, but with positive mouth talk, the film finally went onto become a hit. Kshanam actually proved that Telugu audience will always encourage films with good content.
3. Guntur Talkies: While few section of audiences criticized the film, adult movie lovers watched it more than once for Rashmi Gautam and also for few comedy bits. Overall, the Praveen Sattaru directed film had become a commercial hit and sequel for the film is in the making stages.
4. A Aa: This Trivikram Srinivas directed movie was made of a massive budget of Rs 30 crores. The Nithin starred film received extrema positive talk from all corners. A Aa collected 50 cr shares for full run. The film provided huge profits to producers and distributors. Overseas distributors were the most to pocket profits with the film.
5. Pelli Choopulu: Most of actors in the film were fresh or 2 to 3 films old. Hero Vijay Deverakonda was seen in only two films earlier. He had played a brief and unnoticeable role in Sekhar Kammula’s Life Is Beautiful and he was seen in a second hero role in Yevade Subramanyam. But, the young hero got full marks for his performance in Pelli Choopulu. His romantic chemistry with actress Ritu Varma was amazing on the screen. Director Tharun Bhaskar made the clean and youthful entertainer film with just 1.5 crores (including publicity) had provided more than 10 times profits to producers. A true blockbuster of the year!
6. Ekkadiki Pothavu Chinnavada: Nikhil was going through lean phase before release of the film and he was in desperate need of a success. His choice of picking experimental subject turned prolific yet again. Directed by VI Anand, EPC turned out as biggest earner for Nikhil.
Few other films are lined up to release in the month of December. Let’s see, whether any of the upcoming films will take place in the list!